In 1906, Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه bought a piece of land in what was then known as Buttery Place (corner of Alpine and Quarry Roads) and built a Musjid, a Madressa and a quarters for Imaam and Muezzin. The land around the musjid property was mostly occupied by then Indian gardeners and farmers (among them Muslims), as the Umgeni River nearby provided ample water and the soil was rich. A cemetery was also established but was closed in 1930’s owing to town planning. The building of this institution provided the Muslims with an Islamic Centre where they could not only perform their daily Salaah and meet other brothers on a daily basis, but their children could also receive Islamic education. Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه personally supervised the affairs of the institution with the assistance of the local community. His sons and Khulafas also assisted. All the needs of the community were addressed – poor families were provided with food parcels, medical needs were attended to, free burial for those who could not afford the expenses, and Muslim marriages were performed.
The following served as trustees : –
1906 – 1911
Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه
1911 – 1954
Ebrahim Soofie رضي الله عنه
1911 – 1935
1935 – 1969
Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه
(fifth son of the Founder)
1969 – 1992
Mohamed Soofie رضي الله عنه (eldest son of Hadrath Shah
Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه)
1992 to date
Hadrath Shah Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه
He was born in 1898 in Ibrahim Pattan in district Ratnagir, India. His mother, Hadrath Zainab رضي الله عنه, was in India on a trip when she gave birth to Hadrath Shah Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه. He arrived in South Africa in early 1900 and grew up in the Darbar, Riverside. He received his Islamic education at the Habibia Soofie Saheb Madressa. His early childhood years were spent fruitfully at the Darbar. He observed the administrative qualities of his honoured father and elders of the family. He saw how the various needs of the people were being met. In this way he was given the basic training to do Dawah work.
At the age of 26 years he married Zulekha Bi رضي الله عنه and four children were born – Noor Mohamed, Kathija Bi, Nizam Bi and Goolam Rasool. He went to Chaka’s Kraal in 1925 to teach at the local Madressa. He also taught in Ladysmith and in Verulam. In 1935 he came to the Soofie Darbar at Springfield to serve the needs of the community here. He repaired and renovated the existing Musjid and Madressa. The ablution facility was also improved. Springfield was now growing steadily as a residential area as more and more people moved into the area. He served as Imam and teacher at the Madressa, for a considerably long period. He performed marriages, attended to the problems of the Musallees and personally invited the people for important religious events that took place at the Darbar. He travelled to India on a few occasions. On one such occasion, he visited various Soofie Khanqahs and met a few notable Sufis of their time in India. He visited Hyderabad and made Ziarath at the Mazaar of Hadrath Habib Ali Shah رضي الله عنه, the Pir O Murshid of his father. He was conferred Khilafat by Hadrath Mukhdoom Hafiz Ali Shah رضي الله عنه, the second son of Hadrath Habib Ali shah رضي الله عنه. He also made a courtesy call on Shah Goolam Ali in Kandal, a village in South India. Shah Goolam Ali was once a young Hindu lad in Durban when Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه introduced him to the Darbar in Riverside and with the permission of his parents brought him into the fold of Islam. He proved a brilliant student at the Habibia Soofie Saheb Madressa at Riverside where he learnt his basic and advanced Islamic education. He became a Mureed of Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه and after a few years of study he was sent to his native village of Kandal, India to serve Islam there. He also served as the first Muzawar at Hadrath Badsha Peer Mazaar. After a long search, Hadrath Shah Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه eventually located the whereabouts of Shah Goolam Ali who was lecturing to his students on Islamic Fiqh at the time. He found a place and quietly sat down. Shah Goolam Ali immediately recognized him to be the son of his Pir O Murshid. He respectfully met Hadrath Shah Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه and introduced him to his students. A year before his demise, as his health was gradually deteriorating, Hadrath Shah Mohamed Habib Soofie رضي الله عنه appointed his eldest son, Hadrath Shah Noor Mohamed Soofie رضي الله عنه, to succeed him and continue serving the community of Springfield and to upkeep the Darbaar. Hadrath Shah Mohamed Soofie رضي الله عنه passed away on 11 Muharram 1388 (1969) and was buried at Riverside.
Hadrath Shah Noor Mohamed Soofie رضي الله عنه
Hadrath Shah Noor Mohamed Soofie رضي الله عنه followed in the footsteps of his father. He was conferred Khilafath in the Chistia Order by Hadrath Zamin Shah رضي الله عنه from Delhi, India. In 1978 he extended the Musjid and Madressa extensively with the help of the community which brought the building to its present size. In 1986 a Jamaat Khana for ladies was built adjacent to the musjid.
His children are Mohamed Junaid, Mohamed Javed, Khalid Hassan, Mohamed Jalil and Shenaaz Bi. In 1989 he retired due to illness. He passed away in 1992 (1 Safar 1413) and was buried in Riverside.
Hadrath Shah Mohamed Javed Soofie and Hadrath Shah Khalid Hassan Soofie
Shah Mohamed Javed Soofie and Shah Khalid Hassan Soofie were entrusted with the responsibilities of the Springfield Darbar as Trustees. In 1990 the Musjid at Springfield was completely refurbished. Two Minarets were added on to two sides of the Musjid. The wudu Khana was re-done and air conditioners were installed. A nursery school was built in 1995. Shah Mohamed Javed Soofie was bestowed Khilafat by Hadrath Shah Goolam Qutbuddin Soofie رضي الله عنه. All Praises to Allah Ta’aala, this institution is still carrying on with the work that was initiated by the founder, Hadrath Soofie Saheb رضي الله عنه